Picking the perfect dentist is the key to a wonderful dental implant experience.
Dental implants have helped over 3 million people get their smiles back, and every year another 500,000 patients opt for this beneficial restorative dentistry procedure.
The process of getting dental implants is very safe, but it is a more intensive procedure compared to something routine, like getting a cavity filled. To get the best experience possible, you want to pick a dentist that’s both skilled with dental implants and makes you feel comfortable in their chair.
How Dental Implants Work and Why It’s Important to Choose an Experienced Dentist
Before you start looking for a dentist, it’s a great idea to familiarize yourself with how dental implants work and the process of getting one. Knowing what to expect can ease dental anxiety and help you feel more confident when speaking about dental implants with a prospective dentist.
Getting dental implants is usually a straightforward process.
Most patients will find that getting dental implants isn’t really a complicated process but, rather, one that takes longer than other dental procedures.
There are six main steps for getting a dental implant:
- You’ll first visit your dentist for a consultation to see if you’re an ideal candidate for a dental implant. You can expect a visual exam, as well as plenty of X-rays.
- Once you’re cleared as a candidate, your next appointment will be the placement of the dental implant post.
- Following your implant placement, you’ll be in a period of recovery to allow for osseointegration. This is the process your jawbone undertakes to grow around the new implant post. It can take a few months for this process to be complete.
- After you’re completely healed and your jawbone is properly fused to the implant post, your dentist will place the abutment. This is the foundation for your future tooth.
- The final step is the creation and placement of your new tooth. This is usually in the form of a crown and could be broken down into two appointments—one to take an impression or mold to create the crown and another appointment to place the permanent crown.
- From there, you’ll likely have a few follow-up appointments to ensure your dental implant is healthy and happy.
The exact process of your dental implant placement may skip a step or have an additional step. For example, you may need a bone graft if you’ve experienced bone loss in your jaw, or your dentist may combine your abutment placement during the implant placement.
You can’t be too picky or ask too many questions when choosing your dental implant dentist.
From start to finish, it can take anywhere from three to nine months between your initial consultation appointment and having a 100% healed dental implant. This is a fairly long time for a procedure, and it means you’ll be visiting the dentist you choose quite a bit. You’ll also be trusting them and their experience to guide you through every step of the process.
You can never be too picky when it comes to who you trust with your oral health, and this couldn’t be more true than when it comes to choosing a dental implant dentist.
It’s also a good idea to ask general questions about the dental office, such as:
- What dental insurance they accept
- What their office hours are and whether they offer weekend/evening appointments
- How dental emergencies are handled
- If you can get cost estimates before agreeing to treatment
- What specific training the dentists have
Asking plenty of questions is an important part of choosing the best dental implant dentist for you. At First Dental Associates in Reading, MA, we love answering our patients’ questions and helping them learn more about our office practices, as well as specific procedures like dental implants.
Online testimonials are a great way to learn what patients think about a dental office.
While you’re searching for a dental implant dentist in Reading, MA, it’s a good idea to look for online patient testimonials.
Back in the day, you’d have to rely on word-of-mouth recommendations and your own intuition when it came to choosing a dentist. Thanks to the internet, it’s easier than ever to look over unbiased reviews from real patients talking about their experiences with your prospective dentist.
While you’re reading patient testimonials, look for trends in patients’ experiences. If you see multiple testimonials citing compassionate care, friendliness, and professionalism, chances are that dental office will make you feel very welcome.
“Everyone is so friendly, welcoming, and pleasant to work with. Carol makes you feel like family as soon as you walk in, Sue is a fabulous hygienist, and Dr. Sadeghi is very approachable and knowledgeable.”
—cathlinl (First Dental Associates Patient Testimonials page)
You can also look for patient testimonials from long-term clients, as it shows that the level of care given by the dentist is very high if they’ve retained so many patients throughout the years.
“I’ve been a patient of Dr. Sadeghi’s for more than 15 years, and at First Dental since they opened. I wouldn’t go anywhere else. Just excellent, always, and incredible people as well.”
—Joe Musolino (Google review)
Take the first step by scheduling a dental implant consultation with First Dental Associates in Reading, MA.
First Dental Associates proudly offers compassionate dental care to individuals and families in the Reading, MA, community.
Our team will guide you through the process of getting dental implants, from consultation and planning to implant placement and after-care support while you heal. Our menu of dental services also includes other forms of restorative care, cosmetic dentistry, routine preventive care, and more. That means, even after we help you get your smile back with dental implants, you can continue to visit us for all of your dental care needs.
When you’re ready to take the first step and book a dental implant consultation, you can either give our office a call directly or fill out our online appointment request form.